“… in these years the main Tuscan university centre was at Pisa and there was no studio in the normal sense in the capital city. There were in Florence, however, two ‘detached’ chairs from the University of Pisa, one in Italian literature and one in theology, the latter being held by a Spaniard by the name of Francesco Studiglio or Astudiglio. Then in 1571 [Egnazio] Danti requested the creation of a public chair in mathematics. Cosimo [Medici] liked the idea and asked one of his secretaries to report on the possibility. The secretary found that Astudiglio was not actually doing any teaching and could be dismissed. Cosimo dismissed the poor man, converted the theology chair into one in mathematics and appointed Fra Egnazio to the position, with the comment that Florence had need of such a lectureship. Subsequently Astudiglio appealed against the decision; Cosimo reviewed the appeal and instructed the secretary to let the decision stand.”1
1) Thomas B. Settle, Egnazio Danti and mathematical education, in John Henry and Sarah Hutton eds., New Perspectives on Renaissance Thought, pp 24 – 37, Duckworth, London, 1990, pp 32 – 33.